Veritas Backup Exec is software designed to protect the data of customers, who are involved in virtual, physical and the cloud data storage. This software is made to support all platforms such as Google and Microsoft Azure cloud storage, Amazon S3, Linux and Windows operating systems, and Hyper-V and VMware virtualization. It is being used from a long time and the latest addition to this flagship is Veritas Backup Exec 16.
In Veritas Backup Exec, the configuration and management operations are executed by a single user interface. It also offers replication, deduplication, and disaster recovery facility and helps cope up multiple backup servers or loaders in a single point of time. This Backup Exec has an automated installation process and readily backups and restores applications, servers, and workstations across the network. Both older and newer Veritas Backup Exec proficiently recovers all data from the databases, applications, and systems, starting from mailbox items, table objects, individual files to the entire server. And the latest versions support different types of software for the best performance.
History of Veritas Backup Exec:
In the data protection spectrum, Veritas Backup Exec has been a part of the system for more than two decades. Backup Exec has been a prominent technology to protect the journey of Microsoft to Windows Server operating system. As Windows server grew as application enablement platform for user productivity, Backup Exec platform also evolved at the same pace. Backup Exec incurs a long successive ownership history and till date has brilliantly occupied the market with its latest software version called Veritas backup exec 16.
The Architecture of Veritas Backup Exec:
The overall Backup Exec system is divided into two components – Core and add-on components. The core components are:
- A Backup Exec server forms the heart of backup exec installation. It also runs the software that controls the backup and restores operation. Also, controls storage hardware as well as maintains the database, device and media catalogs.
- Backup Exec administration console interface controls the Backup Exec server. It can run directly as well as can be controlled from a remote system.
- The storage device is connected to the server and contains media on which the total backup data is stored. It supports different types of data and media that include tape-based, disk-based and cloud data. It supports unlimited clients and systems.
- Clients here points to the data that are backed-up by the servers. They may include the series application servers, individual workstations, database servers, and file servers.
- The add-on components expand the functional features of core Backup Exec server to support server applications such as SharePoint, SQL, Linux, Windows, Oracle, Microsoft, Hyper-V, and VMware.
Different Features and Capabilities of Veritas Backup Exec:
The Veritas backup exec includes the following:
- Full, differential and incremental backup method
- For VMware and Hyper-V does image-based backups
- Follows Advance Open File Option (AOFO)
- Backup the data to tape, disk, or cloud
- Follows dissimilar hardware recovery
- Restoration is done on virtual or physical servers
- Granular recovery directly form storage without staging or mounting
- True image restore and simplified disaster recovery
- Avails free S3 and Azure cloud connectors to back up data in respective cloud storage
- Predefined templates are available for backup exec user interface
Virtual Server Protection Support:
- Supports backing up data of both VMware and Hyper-V virtual machines
Integrated Data Deduplication:
- Supports Integrated block-level data deduplication for both Windows and Linux computers
Data Encryption and Security:
- Software, hardware and database encryption is available
- Controls the connection between backup exec server and remote computer agent by Securing the TLS protocol
Management and Reporting
- It includes heterogeneous support of data
- Media management is done by configuring automatic tape or robot drive
- It follows centralized administration and reporting with operational resiliency
All the above information is valid and the Veritas Backup Exec claims to resolve all your data recovery and storage issue. For best assistance get ready to upgrade your system with Veritas Backup Exec 16.